Where Are Pit Bulls Banned? | Your Questions Answered
Reader’s Note: This article is to act as an informational source for Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) and where Pit Bulls are affected worldwide and nationwide. Joyride Harness stands by the humane care and support of animals.
Have you ever heard of Breed Specific Legislation (BSL)? A number of dogs have difficulties finding homes due to their breed, and if you’re considering adopting or fostering a dog, you should definitely read up on Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) in your area as they may halt your efforts.
Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) is just what you think by its name. It’s a law put in place to regulate different dog breeds by prohibiting or restricting them from residing in specific areas. Yes, that’s right. Certain dogs can be banned. Most common among the dogs banned are Pit Bulls. If you’re looking into adopting or fostering a Pit Bull, the effects of Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) can be isolated to even apartment residences and reach as far as a nationwide ban. There are anti-Breed Specific Legislations (anti-BSL) in place in 21 of the 50 states in the United States with continuing developments as counties and states work to overturn the legislation in their area.
We’ve compiled all locations where Pit Bulls are currently banned due to Breed Specific Legislation (BSL).
Which Countries are Pit Bulls Banned In?
Unless otherwise noted, the following countries have bans on Pit Bull ownership:
- Australia - Import of Pit Bulls is prohibited.
- Belarus - Must be kept in a securely fenced area and not allowed in public. Even when fenced, they are required to be on a leash and muzzled.
- Bermuda Islands
- Canada - Ban only in effect in Ontario and Manitoba within the city of Winnipeg.
- Great Britain
- Ireland - Not banned but under restriction. They have to be kept on a short leash and muzzle when in public.
- Israel - Import of Pit Bulls is prohibited.
- New Zealand
- Poland - A full ban is not in effect but there are restrictions and rules to follow.
- Portugal - Housing of Pit Bulls is prohibited.
- Puerto Rico
- Russia - Not fully banned but subject to mandatory registration.
- Ukraine - Prohibited unless microchipped, sterilized, and kept on a short leash and muzzle in public.
- Venezuela - Prohibited unless microchipped, sterilized, and kept on a short leash and muzzle in public.
Which States Are Pit Bulls Banned In?
This list of states only represents statewide bans. Other states may have counties or cities where Pit Bull bans are in place and we highly encourage looking into it before adopting or fostering, or moving:
- All military bases
This is just a sampling of tips and informational posts we offer at Joyride Harness. You can find more content including tips and tricks and how-tos for caring for your dog on our blog at this section. Feel free to leave a comment with tips you’re looking for!
Share this post with any of your friends or family members considering adopting or fostering a Pit Bull so they are well prepared and can anticipate the news